One of my favourite easy quick cakes and tastes amazing. Perfect little (or big) pick me up for a bad day
6oz unsalted room temp butter
6oz caster sugar
6oz self raising flour
3 drops of vanilla extract
2oz room temp butter
4oz icing sugar
Lots of your favourite jam
1. Pre heat oven to 170 and grease a cake tin ( I used a 20cm)
2. In a large bowl cream together the sugar and butter until pale, light and fluffy
3. Add in the milk and keep mixing until fully combined
4. Alternate between sifting in flour and adding an egg on at a time until all have been added. Try not to beat the mixture too much at this stage or the cake will become dense from working the gluten too much
5. Mix in the drops of vanilla extract
6. Spoon mixture into cake tin and put in oven for 20-30 mins. It will be ready when golden brown on top and if a knife comes out clean if it’s been put into the middle of the cake
7. While in the oven cream together the icing sugar and butter to make the butter cream for the filling
8. Leave to cool on a wire rack
9. Once cool enough slice the cake in half horizontally
10. On one of the middle sides evenly spread on the butter cream to edge and on the other spread your jam. I used a strawberry and champagne one – incredible!
11. Put the two halves of cake back together with the fillings in the middle on top of each other
12. Dust with icing sugar and enjoy!
Unfortunately before I had chance to grab a picture, I dropped something on the cake so wasn’t the prettiest. Still tasted amazing!
Happy baking! Keep smiling and stay safe